Subject: Re: bug#63300: 29.0.90; Tramp keeps customizing variables on every connection

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 10:08:27 +0200

Version: 29.1

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> See my other message for a proposal.
>
> If it works, I don't mind, although the solution looks more
> complicated (thus more risky during a pretest).

No further comments, so I've pushed the change to the emacs-29
branch. Closing the bug.

> In general, Lisp programs should not modify values of user options,
> that is only for the user.

I agree, but here we have the case, that two complex variables have been
transformed into user options in order to offer more convenient ways to
modify them. So we must handle both cases, modification by other
packages due to call of connection-local-set-profiles or
connection-local-set-profile-variables, and modification in the
customization buffer.

Best regards, Michael.