Subject: bug#63300: 29.0.90; Tramp keeps customizing variables on every connection

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 13:56:00 +0200

Jimmy Wong <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> Except when you customize a variable and click save for future
> sessions or apply and save, all the customized variables including the
> hacked connection local alist variables will be dumped to the customs
> file.

In the past, connection-local-*-alist were simple variables. Then they
have been converted to user options, see etc/NEWS:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
*** Some connection-local variables are now user options.
The variables 'connection-local-profile-alist' and
'connection-local-criteria-alist' are now user options, in order to
make it more convenient to inspect and modify them.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And that's the reason behind.

I won't call the Tramp settings "hacked connection local alist variables".
They are useful defaults.

Best regards, Michael.