Subject: bug#63290: 30.0.50; Customize UI shows extra fields for (choice (const ...) (alist ...))

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 22:37:21 -0400

Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]> writes: 
 
[...] 
 
>> It seems like after a const is shown, Customize considers the 
>> variable "edited".  I don't know why it is adding those extra 
>> INS/DEL key/value UI boxes though. 
> 
> The code currently ignores the value if it's present but 
> nil. That's not good, obviously.  But it might be tricky to fix 
> it because other widgets depend on the code ignoring it... 
> 
> I think it might be good to have a different property specify a 
> default value (defaulting to :value upon creation, if not 
> provided), and let :value be treated as of today, like the 
> current value holder. 

OK, thanks for taking a look; let me know if you want me to try a 
patch.  Sounds like a good way of maintaining backward 
compatibility with respect to other widgets.

Or you can test it against excorporate-configuration in GNU ELPA; 
just search for the FIXME that mentions this bug report.

Thanks,
Thomas