Subject: Re: bug#63288: 30.0.50; Emacs 30 packages fail to build with native comp on some machines

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 15:54:53 -0500

> I really don't understand this code, I'm afraid.

Don't worry: I don't think anybody does (I sure don't).

It's code inherited from *many* years ago, where it approximated the
desired semantics via approximate hacks (like delaying assignments
until some package is loaded).

We could try and go back to the CLHS doc to figure out what it "should"
do, and then implement it better.  But seeing how little it's used,
I doubt it's worth the trouble (my impression is that its intended
semantics doesn't align very well with our implementation(s), so it
would take work and/or ugly hacks to make it work "right").

> So I'll commit the minimal change above, and hope that the rest of the
> problem goes away when you have the time to look at it next :-)

Looking at it doesn't make me very happy, so I don't have any plan to
look at it.

If you want to do me a favor you could try and mark it (both `proclaim`
and `declaim`) as deprecated.

        Stefan