Subject: Re: bug#63271: 29.0.90; broken mouse-face

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 15:12:06 +0200

On Tue, 09 May 2023 20:52:24 +0800 Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
[...]
>> Aside from the difference in highlighting, another difference I failed
>> to notice before is that in fundamental-mode the string "TODO" is
>> displayed with DejaVu Sans but in lisp-interaction-mode with DejaVu Sans
>> Mono, although I used the same Lisp code with the face property
>> (:inherit variable-pitch) to enter the string in both buffers.  I guess
>> lisp-interaction-mode inhibits variable-pitch face and that's the reason
>> the mouse-highlighting appears on the problematic characters in that
>> mode, in contrast to fundamental-mode.
>>
>> Steve Berman
>
> What if you change the font driver in use to something else, like X?
> i.e.
>
>   (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'font-backend "x")

With that the highlighting problem in fundamental-mode vanishes: all
problematic strings show mouse-highlighting. (FTR, with the "x"
font-backend, the default face here is displayed with adobe-courier and
variable-pitch face is displayed with adobe-helvetica.)

Steve Berman