Subject: bug#63271: 29.0.90; broken mouse-face

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 20:38:21 +0300

>> 1. M-x global-tab-line-mode RET
>> 2. C-h C-n   ;; (view-emacs-news)
>> 3. C-h C-t   ;; (view-emacs-todo)
>> 4. C-x b *scratch* RET
>>
>> Hover the mouse pointer over the tabs.
>> Over all tabs mouse-face is 'tab-line-highlight'
>> that is light grey color.  But over the "TODO" tab
>> the main text is not highlighted with mouse-face.
>
> I cannot reproduce this with the current emacs-29 branch.  All tabs
> behave the same as far as mouse-highlight is concerned.
>
> Maybe this is specific to X or GTK?  (Why don't you post the details
> of your build and configuration, as collected by report-emacs-bug?)

Sorry, I didn't expect that details are needed because the bug is 100%
reproducible on GTK, Lucid and no toolkit.  But here are the details:

1.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-05-05
Repository revision: b1bda8228e5788391cefbb4721af24f5713a0e37
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Linux Mint 20

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-mailutils --without-dbus CC=gcc-10'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Minor modes in effect:
  global-tab-line-mode: t
  tab-line-mode: t

2.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-05-05
Repository revision: b1bda8228e5788391cefbb4721af24f5713a0e37
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Linux Mint 20

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-mailutils --without-dbus
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Minor modes in effect:
  global-tab-line-mode: t
  tab-line-mode: t

3.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.16.0) of 2023-05-05
Repository revision: b1bda8228e5788391cefbb4721af24f5713a0e37
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Linux Mint 20

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-mailutils --without-dbus
 --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Minor modes in effect:
  global-tab-line-mode: t
  tab-line-mode: t