Subject: Re: bug#63267: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:21:25 +0000

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long delay on this.

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 07:07 PM, Simon Tournier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am proposing patch#63393 [1] which adds the output lib to
> gcc-toolchain.  Well, quoting the comment:
>
>       ;; The main raison d'être of this "meta-package" is (1) to conveniently
>       ;; install everything that we need, and (2) to make sure ld-wrapper comes
>       ;; before Binutils' ld in the user's profile.
>
> I think, this package gcc-toolchain should be the visible package and
> battery included.
>
> WDYT?
>
> 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/63393
>
> Cheers,
> simon

I've just pushed, as b47ae1ecc43baaf726701ab2d2f810ecfaa75428, the
patches from that issue (the first from simon, the second my simplified
one just adding gcc:lib to gcc-toolchain).

This should fix the original bug here, so I am closing. However, it was
raised here and in 63393 about alternatives in how we use gcc-toolchain
outputs. As well as the issue I ran into about make-libstdc++.

So, if anyone would like to change anything from the new status quo,
please open a new issue. At least now we are working from a better
default I would say, with gcc-toolchain including the libraries from
gcc:lib.

Thanks all,
John