Subject: bug#63267: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 20:59:03 +0000

Hi Kaelyn,

On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 11:45 PM, Kaelyn wrote:

> ------- Original Message -------
> I wasn't sure the best place to share it, so I've attached my "run"
> script for running the binary download of PolyMC in a container. It is
> both a shell script and a guix package manifest, and is the one place
> so far I've worked around the removal of gcc:lib. The main
> program-specific bits are what CMD defaults to and which packages need
> to be included (most of the various shares are to get things like
> hardware 3D, pulseaudio, and dbus working and aren't all always
> needed). It also contains the original manifest commented-out for
> comparison. Hope it can be of help to folks!
>

Thanks, that's a nice little hack! Just something very minor I
noticed, but you don't need to specify glibc directly for the -F (FHS)
option in guix shell, as it will automatically include the (modified)
glibc.

This topic came up again on IRC today and GNUtoo had the correct cli
invocation for getting at gcc:lib. I thought I had tried something
similar but must have missed something, or else didn't notice that
this will only work for guix shell, as guix build doesn't take outputs
in the package list:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix shell  -e $'(list (@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc) "lib")'
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks to both of you I have some options for workarounds currently,
but based on how this topic keeps coming up I still think we should
have a more straightforward option.

John