Subject: bug#63265: closed (Re: bug#63265: 28.3; elpa: inspector installation fails without treeviewer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 08:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63265: 28.3; elpa: inspector installation fails without treeviewer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63265: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63265
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63265: 28.3; elpa: inspector installation fails without treeviewer
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Henrik Ahlgren <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 08:00:26 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Henrik Ahlgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> The git repository for the inspector package contains two separate
> packages, inspector.el and tree-inspector.el. The main package does not
> have Package-Requires for treeview, since it does not need it. However,
> the other package included in the tarball fails to compile if treeview
> is not present.
>
> The upstream author refuses to add the dependency to inspector.el,
> claiming it is a problem with elpa itself:
>
> https://github.com/mmontone/emacs-inspector/pull/25
>
> I think elpa should add tree-inspector* to :exclude-files and perhaps
> add tree-inspector as a separate package.

I see that this package has been split in two on GNU ELPA, which has
resolved this issue.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 28.3; elpa: inspector installation fails without treeviewer
From: Henrik Ahlgren <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 14:12:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The git repository for the inspector package contains two separate
packages, inspector.el and tree-inspector.el. The main package does not
have Package-Requires for treeview, since it does not need it. However,
the other package included in the tarball fails to compile if treeview
is not present.

The upstream author refuses to add the dependency to inspector.el,
claiming it is a problem with elpa itself:

https://github.com/mmontone/emacs-inspector/pull/25

I think elpa should add tree-inspector* to :exclude-files and perhaps
add tree-inspector as a separate package.