Subject: Re: [bug#63263] [PATCH] gexp: Stop generating unreadable builder scripts.

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 21:14:05 +0200

Hi Chris and Ludo,

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:

> I guess my perspective on this is more from the operation of the guix
> data service, which is carefully computing and storing all of these
> broken derivations (and there's a lot, like 10,000+ per revision at the
> moment, since they change every time you compute them).  This then
> propagates down to the build coordinator as well, since there's builds
> being submitted for all these broken derivations. I have considered
> trying to detect these breakages in the data service, but I'm not sure
> how to do it while removing the possibility of false positives.

I guess you already read the derivations from the data service to find
out what has changed, right?  Would you also be able to try to read the
builder script from there, before trying to build?  And if the
derivation is bad, signal it somehow and flag it for some sort of gc?
Although then, all other derivations depending on it would also need to
be gc'd, which might be annoying.

I don't know if the data service's architecture would allow this to be
done before trying to build derivations though, sorry in advance if that
would be too much work.

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret