Subject: bug#63260: closed (Re: bug#63260: 29.0.90; Regression installing/activating packages without autoloads)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 07:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63260: 29.0.90; Regression installing/activating packages without autoloads

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63260: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63260
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63260: 29.0.90; Regression installing/activating packages without autoloads
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Basil Contovounesios <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 07:43:08 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Basil Contovounesios <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 14:12:44 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii [2023-05-08 07:15 -0400] wrote:
>> 
>> >> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> >> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> >> Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 19:37:26 +0000
>> >> 
>> >> You are right.  How does this patch look like:
>> >
>> > LGTM, thanks.  Is Robert's use case also taken care of?
>> 
>> Both the package-install and package-quickstart-refresh issues I listed
>> are fixed by the patch.  I also checked that loaddefs-generate continues
>> to work in an external package, AFAICT:
>> 
>> https://github.com/kyleam/bog/blob/8fc7ff7d926ddb7291df9706b92e09cc8addcfad/Makefile#L20-L28
>
> Thanks.

I've pushed the changes.

Subject: 29.0.90; Regression installing/activating packages without autoloads
From: Basil Contovounesios <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 12:15:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This change:

  Prevent generating empty autoload files
  dd21003878d 2023-04-30 18:42:58 +0200
  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=dd21003878d

seems to have reintroduced the following issue:

  https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2022-06/msg00563.html

First start Emacs 29 (or 30) with a clean slate:

$ cd "$(mktemp --directory)"
$ export HOME="${PWD}" XDG_CONFIG_HOME="${PWD}/.config"
$ emacs

Then try to install the sicp package (which lacks autoloads) from MELPA:

0. C-x b RET
1. (setq package-archives '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))
   C-x C-e
2. M-x package-install RET sicp RET
3. C-h e
4. C-M-S-v

Observe that *Messages* contains the line:

  Error loading autoloads:
  (file-missing
   Cannot open load file
   No such file or directory
   /tmp/tmp.5GvMpPatMo/.emacs.d/elpa/sicp-20200512.1137/sicp-autoloads)

5. M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
6. M-x package-quickstart-refresh RET

This fails with:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
    insert-file-contents(nil)
    package-quickstart-refresh()
    funcall-interactively(package-quickstart-refresh)
    call-interactively(package-quickstart-refresh record nil)
    command-execute(package-quickstart-refresh record)
    execute-extended-command(nil "package-quickstart-refresh" "package-quick")
    funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil
                          "package-quickstart-refresh"
                          "package-quick")
    call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
    command-execute(execute-extended-command)
  
The file-missing error also appears on subsequent Emacs startup.

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-05-04 built on blc
Repository revision: dd21003878dadba1e0420269e63e10685d4670a9
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure CC=gcc-12 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' --prefix=/home/bic/.local
 --with-program-suffix=-29 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug help-fns cl-print debug backtrace
help-mode find-func compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring info
loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode cus-edit
pp cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit mm-archive message sendmail
yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny epg rfc6068 epg-config finder-inf package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 282927 159473)
 (symbols 48 16620 1)
 (strings 32 98218 50117)
 (string-bytes 1 2278870)
 (vectors 16 25526)
 (vector-slots 8 346646 26540)
 (floats 8 46 357)
 (intervals 56 468 3)
 (buffers 984 15))