Subject: Re: bug#63235: 29.0.90; makefile-mode does not recognize Plan 9's mk, mkfile

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 16:11:26 GMT

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 07:39:12 +0800
> Content-Type: text/plain
>  
> The way I understand it, mk is not a variant of Make, and is certainly
> not close enough to be supported by Makefile mode.  For starters,
> commands are not indented with tabs, but with spaces.
> 
> Besides, who uses it in the real world?
> 

The real world is surreal is the sense I get.  Plan 9 User Space is
packaged as 9base on the debian gnu/linux distribution.  Enough people
use it I guess.  Finding the words list in Plan 9 preserved from old
times was useful for me.  I have come across a recommended approach
guide to customizing the use of make and one tip changes the indented
tab convention.

Anyway, if it is not too difficult for me, since I have done the fsf
emacs copyright assignment paperwork, perhaps I can volunteer to widen
Makefile mode to play well with mk.

Tangentially in connection to Unicode and definitions for CJKrV
characters, before I had the paperwork done, I offered a patch
containing a readtable for feeding into Emacs and having a way to map
character to definition, can that be included to the dictionary lookup
function?

The uni-unihan-readings.el file looks like

QUOTE
;; -*-no-byte-compile: t; -*-
(defvar readings-table
	(make-char-table 'readings-table nil)
	"Char table of definitions for East Asian characters.")

(aset readings-table #x3400 "(same as U+4E18 X) hillock or mound")
(aset readings-table #x3401 "to lick; to taste, a mat, bamboo bark")
QUOTE ENDS