Subject: Re: bug#63215: [PATCH mumi 0/2] Cc all issue participants when sending email

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 23:30:18 +0100

Hi Maxim,

> If you meant that it's mumi instead of git that should call
> etc/teams.scm, it makes sense.  I'm not sure the functionality of
> teams.scm proper should be moved wholesale into mumi, as it's useful
> outside of mumi (for plain git users, say).

I see your point about keeping things working for plain git users. Makes
sense.

> Mumi could invoke etc/teams.scm to produce the list of team members for
> the changes involved, add any missing collaborators retrieved from the
> message data to the set (avoiding duplicates), then format the
> 'X-Debbugs-CC' header with comma-separated values.  It should then
> invoke git with the '--no-header-cmd' option to avoid teams.scm being
> called again.

mumi invoking etc/teams.scm is not so nice since that means coupling
mumi to the specific repository layout of guix. This reduces its
generality to other projects, say skribilo.

Maybe, let's just keep multiple X-Debbugs-Cc headers for now. Let mumi
and teams.scm be unaware of each other for now. We can revisit the
question of coupling them later.

> Note that our teams.scm script currently generate distinct X-Debbugs-CC
> header for each participant.  The Debbugs copy used by GNU is the one
> hosted at [0], which doesn't mention the comma-separated
> requirement/suggestion, so I think that's currently OK, although I'm not
> too confident in my reading of the 'process' Perl script [1].  At any
> rate it'd be easy to adjust in teams.scm.
>
> The email specification mentions that some special fields such as To and
> Cc should be separated by commas, but says nothing about custom fields [2],
> so in my opinion both forms should be supported by Debbugs (and probably
> are, although it's hard to say without trying).

Fair enough. Let's keep multiple X-Debbugs-Cc headers and hope for the
best! :-) A new patchset follows. The only difference between this
patchset and the previous one is that we set X-Debbugs-Cc headers
instead of Cc headers.

Regards,
Arun