Subject: bug#63203: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol __libc_pthread_init (texmacs)

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 10:17:49 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]> writes:

> For me this error doesn't happen when running `guix shell texmacs --
> texmacs` but when running `guix shell icedove-wayland -- icedove`.
>
> ```
> $ guix describe
>    guix 91bfd30
>      Repository-URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>      Branch: master
>      Commit: 91bfd30ee3f35dfb7048bf42aea92f939cffbf17
> ```
>
> The last working version of icedove I have in my guix profile history is:
> Generation 117	12. April 2023 10:20:48
>   + icedove-wayland	102.10.0	out
> /gnu/store/9zkzs288rjpsbkdj352sfmjc8fnf5qlk-icedove-wayland-102.10.0
>
> which refers back to Guix commit
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=3ab983d630a95a29b9418b1ba8a26e5ca2836ec0
>
> After upgrading my system via `sudo -i guix pull` and `sudo -i guix
> system reconfigure config.scm`, icedove works again :)

Does running `guix shell icedove-wayland -- icedove` trigger a texmacs
error, or is it an icedove error?  Icedove and friends dlopen quite a
lot of libraries, and we might've forgot some of them, so they might
leak from somewhere else triggering this problem.  Adding
`LD_DEBUG=libs` to the environment variables might help with finding out
which libs are leaking through.

Also, you don't have to `guix pull` as root, you can just do `sudo
guix system reconfigure config.scm` which will use your user's guix to
reconfigure.

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret