Subject: Re: End-to-end tests Was: bug#63198: cups-service-type uses PAM-enabled 'cups' by default which prevents authentication

From: muradm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 14:28:26 +0300

Csepp <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> It might be a good idea to have more end-to-end tests in Guix 
> that would
> check if common operations like "finding a printer" work.  It's 
> quite a
> bit of up-front effort, but it's better than relying on manual 
> testing
> and could make things smoother in the long run.
> SUSE has a cool testing framework based on screen captures, 
> maybe it
> could be adapted to Guix?

There is already test framework within Guix. You may find 
information at:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Running-the-Test-Suite

In short, there are unit tests and system tests which can be found 
at
gnu/tests/*.scm for inspiration. It is just a matter of 
time/resource
availability to write tests.

For cups specifically, you may not need screen capture processing 
or
similar. It should be enough to use CLI tools available out of the 
box.

muradm