Subject: 23.2; man command can no longer accept -k, spaces

From: Mark Diekhans <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 23:52:54 -0700

M-xman will no longer allow '-k pattern' or '1 cat', even though the
help documentation claims this should work. This appears to be
due to the completion functionality, which has no documentation
way to disable it

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2010-05-15 on bugle.cse.ucsc.edu
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64' '--without-sound' '-with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'LDFLAGS=-L/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/include''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Major mode: Apropos

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC 
O A ESC O A f C-s m a n C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-a 
C-v C-v C-v C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s SPC 
C-s C-s C-a M-, M-< C-s C-s C-s C-s C-a M-< C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-a C-x C-f TAB TAB C-g C-x C-f M-b C-k 
l TAB i TAB m a TAB n TAB RET C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-s m a n C-s C-s C-s C-s C-a C-v C-s c o m p l 
e C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-a 
M-v C-v C-v M-v C-s C-s C-s C-s C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r 
C-r C-r C-a M-v C-v C-v M-v M-v ESC O B ESC O B C-x 
b RET M-v M-< C-g C-s - - C-a C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v M-< M-x m a n RET - C-g M-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v M-v M-v M-v M-< C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v M-< M-x e m a c s - b TAB C-a C-k 
b u TAB g C-g M-x b u g TAB TAB C-a C-g M-x a p r o 
TAB RET b u g RET C-x o C-v C-s r e p o r t C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-a C-@ C-e M-w M-x C-y 
RET

Recent messages:
Mark set
Quit
call-interactively: Beginning of buffer
Mark set [2 times]
Making completion list...
Quit
Making completion list...
Quit
Mark saved where search started
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-install hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-install
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-wl hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-wl
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-w3m hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-w3m
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-timer hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-timer
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-table hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-table
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-vm hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-vm
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-rmail hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-rmail
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-remember hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-remember
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-plot hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-plot
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-publish hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-publish
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mouse hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mouse
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mhe hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mhe
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mew hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mew
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-macs hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-macs
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mac-message hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mac-message
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-list hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-list
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-irc hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-irc
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-jsinfo hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-info hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-info
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-id hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-id
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-gnus hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-gnus
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-footnote
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-faces hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-faces
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-compat hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-compat
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-colview-xemacs hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-colview-xemacs
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-exp hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-exp
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-colview hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-colview
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-clock hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-clock
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-bibtex hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bibtex
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-bbdb hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bbdb
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-archive hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-archive
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-attach hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-attach
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-agenda hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-agenda
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-footnote
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-clock hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-clock
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-protocol hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-protocol
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-indent hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-indent
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-rmail hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-rmail
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-inlinetask hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-ascii hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-ascii
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mac-message hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-info hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-info
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-faces hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-faces
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-remember hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-remember
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mobile hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mobile
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-table hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-table
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-vm hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-vm
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-plot hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-plot
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-id hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-id
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-jsinfo hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-icalendar hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-xoxo hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-macs hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-macs
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-docbook hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-docbook
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-timer hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-timer
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-archive hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-archive
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-datetree hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-datetree
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-html hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-html
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-install hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-install
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-freemind hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-freemind
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-publish hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-publish
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-colview hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-colview
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-latex hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-latex
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-exp-blocks hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mew hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mew
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-attach hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-attach
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-list hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-list
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-w3m hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-w3m
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mouse hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mouse
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-irc hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-irc
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-exp hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-exp
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mhe hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mhe
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-bibtex hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-gnus hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-gnus
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-src hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-src
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-habit hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-habit
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-agenda hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-agenda
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-feed hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-feed
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-wl hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-wl
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-compat hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-compat
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-bbdb hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-crypt hides /cluster/home/markd/opt/centos5.2/x86_64/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-crypt

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils warnings emacsbug apropos noutline outline
easy-mmode dired-aux info help-fns dired tcl python-21 python dabbrev
etags tabify man assoc grep compile multi-isearch cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-menus cc-cmds vc-dispatcher vc-svn flyspell help-mode easymenu view
ispell ansi-color jka-compr time server preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads edmacro kmacro org-install bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt vm-autoload
vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version medutil background shell comint ring
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)