Subject: Re: bug#6316: 24.0.50; unexpected region highlighting

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 15:50:37 +0200

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 06:29:19 -0700 (PDT) Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> if you mark and highlight a region in a
>> buffer and then call e.g. `C-h f' or `C-h v', when the *Help* buffer
>> opens this unhighlights the region in the other buffer, although the
>> latter remains the current buffer.  Is this supposed to happen, and if
>> so, why?  (If it's not supposed to happen, I'll open a new bug.)
>
> `highlight-nonselected-windows' = t controls whether the region remains
> highlighted in nonselected windows.

As I noted, when you call `C-h f' or `C-h v', it doesn't make the *Help*
buffer current, i.e., the window containing the now unhighlighted region
is still selected.

> But after a command the region is deactivated, so depending on your
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      "After certain non-motion commands, including any command that
changes the text in the buffer," according to (emacs)Mark.

> recipe you will not notice the effect of the variable.  IOW, in your
> recipe, your command `C-h v' deactivated the region in the original
> buffer.

Evidently it did; but should it, and if so, why?

Steve Berman