Subject: bug#63142: 30.0.50; QUOTING_STYLE can break dired

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 13:46:15 +0300

> From: Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 12:37:38 +0200
> 
> On Fri, Apr 28 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Should dired handle QUOTING_STYLE (looking at the coreutils manual it
> >> seems that other tools besides ls handle it) or should dired actively
> >> suppress the quoting mode?
> >
> > I'd suggest first to report this to Coreutils maintainers: it makes
> > little sense to me to honor QUOTING_STYLE when --dired is specified.
> > If the Coreutils folks decline to handle this, then I guess we will
> > have to.
> 
> What sort of output should ls use in --dired mode?

The default one, I think.  --dired already produces the information
which tells where each file name begins and ends, so any quoting
sounds redundant, no?