Subject: bug#63127: closed (Re: bug#63127: 29.0.90; Tramp all-completions errors with internal error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63127: 29.0.90; Tramp all-completions errors with internal error

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63127: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63127
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63127: 29.0.90; Tramp all-completions errors with internal error
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Cc: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 13:01:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> I tried again and this time I didn't install Tramp via package-install
> but unpacked the tar manually. Then I could successfully load Vertico
> and Tramp. Completing Tramp paths works fine with Vertico. I checked
> that `tramp-version' is 2.6.0.3. Furthermore the /sudo:::/ issue is
> gone. Feel free to close this bug!

Done.

> However there seems to be an issue with Tramp and package installation
> due to the `tramp--with-startup` macro. Not sure if I am the only one
> affected by this.

Well, there is bug#59194, waiting for action from me. I guess it is
related, so there's nothing left to do in *this* bug.

> Daniel

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.0.90; Tramp all-completions errors with internal error
From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 20:40:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I accidentally typed /sudo:::/ instead of /sudo::/ in the file
completion prompt of my Vertico completion UI. Vertico immediately
recomputes candidates and in this case shows an internal Tramp error.

File error: tramp-sh-handle-file-name-all-completions: internal error
accessing ‘/root/\:/’: ‘’

For reproduction, this internal error can be triggered by executing the
following expressions:

(all-completions "/sudo:::/" #'completion-file-name-table)
(try-completion "/sudo:::/" #'completion-file-name-table)

I am not sure if this can be considered a bug, certainly not a serious
one. Usually completion tables are supposed to not show such
internal errors. Instead they ideally just return nil signaling the
absence of matches. Maybe this indicates some problem in the Tramp file
handler parser, which could bail out earlier on such an invalid path?

Thanks!

Daniel

----

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-04-27 built on projects
Repository revision: a40b1cba5ea53a780e9d3bb6b36e050dfa5e7c12
Repository branch: debundlemacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/user/emacs/install --with-json
 --with-native-compilation --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-dbus
 --without-selinux --without-threads --without-gsettings --with-cairo'