Subject: Re: bug#63127: 29.0.90; Tramp all-completions errors with internal error

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 08:11:47 +0200

On 4/28/23 07:38, Michael Albinus wrote:
> However, there exist a newer Tramp version in GNU ELPA. When I call
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> # ~/src/emacs-29/src/emacs -Q -L ~/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-2.6.0.3/ \
>   -l ~/.emacs.d/elpa/compat-29.1.4.1/compat-autoloads.el \
>   -l ~/.emacs.d/elpa/vertico-1.2/vertico-autoloads.el -f vertico-mode
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Yes, I am aware of the new Tramp version and the fixes regarding host
names and user names. I just tried to install it on Emacs 29 but I get
`tramp--with-startup' errors during initialization in emacs -Q - some
autoload issue. IOW I seem to be unable to test this.

> the error doesn't happen. However, Vertico doesn't seem to complete at
> all under this configuration.
> 
> Could you pls check, whether using Tramp 2.6.0.3 from GNU ELPA is still
> compatible with Vertico? Note that we have changed Tramp's file name
> completion per bug#37954, bug#51386, bug#52758, bug#53513, bug#54042 and
> bug#60505 (all of them merged to one bug).

Could you please be more specific about "complete at all"? Do you mean
no candidates are shown at all? I cc'ed Manuel Uberti. Afaik he tested
Tramp 2.6.0.3 (or the Tramp version on the Emacs master branch) with
Vertico and it works as expected. Maybe he can confirm that everything
is still functional?

>> I am not sure if this can be considered a bug, certainly not a serious
>> one. Usually completion tables are supposed to not show such
>> internal errors. Instead they ideally just return nil signaling the
>> absence of matches. Maybe this indicates some problem in the Tramp file
>> handler parser, which could bail out earlier on such an invalid path?
> 
> This sanity check has already been removed in Tramp 2.6.0.3 per bug#61890.

Thanks!

Daniel