Subject: bug#63120: Requesting more docs

From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:53:27 -0700

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 02:59:11PM -0000, Elizabeth Prescott via Bug
reports for the GNU Parted disk partition editor wrote:
> Hi! I haven't been able to find much detail in the docs about the
> expected output of various commands. I'm especially looking for the
> behavior of the "print" command. It seems worth documenting the
> expected keys and values from json and what the different "print-type"
> options mean. Happy to contribute (perhaps with some guidance for this
> first-time contributor to this project).Cheers,Liz

Hi! Yes, it could use more documentation :) At the moment the best
method is to try it out on a disk.img file and see what it does. Which
certainly isn't ideal or complete. If you're comfortable looking at C
the print code is here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/parted.git/tree/parted/parted.c

the functions prefixed with ul_jsonwrt_* are the json related ones.

As for where to put it, I guess it probably belongs in its own section
in the info docs
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/parted.git/tree/doc/parted.texi) with
a shorter description in the manpage that also mentions the info docs.

Patches should be sent to the parted-devel mailing list:
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/parted-devel
(and you can also ask questions there, the audience should be wider than
the bug tracker).

Thanks!

Brian

-- 
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart