Subject: Re: bug#631: the M- notation suggestion

From: xah lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 04:33:01 -0700

The change suggested is only about in emacs manual, emacs tutorial,  
and in menus.

There is no proposal to change emacs lisp's keyboard macro or elisp  
functions.

   Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

On Aug 4, 2008, at 4:11 AM, Joe Wells wrote:

xah lee <[email-masked]> writes:

> The proposed change doesn't actually effect elisp code. It is primarly
> esthetic in nature.

This is not true.  There are many places in the Emacs Lisp code which
recognize the M- and C- notation.

First, there is the read syntax (I'm using Emacs 22.1):

   ?\M-A ⇒ 134217793
   ?\M-\C-b ⇒ 134217730

   "\M-A" ⇒ "\301" (yes, this is a bit different behavior for M-A)

Then, there is the convention of making symbol names with prefixes for
use in key bindings:

   M-f3
   M-mouse-1
   M-drag-mouse-2
   M-double-mouse-2

Then, there is the lovely kbd macro for use in key bindings:

   (kbd "C-M-<down>") ⇒ [C-M-down]

Then, there is the use of the M- and C- notation by edit-kbd-macro.

Then, there are the key-description, single-key-description, and
read-kbd-macro functions:

   (key-description [?\M-3 delete]) ⇒ "M-3 <delete>"

There is also the text-char-description function.

-- 
Joe

-- 
Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity
registered under charity number SC000278.

☄