Subject: bug#63096: closed (Re: bug#63096: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 17:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63096: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63096: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63096
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63096: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 20:52:27 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 15:38:54 +0000 (UTC)
> Cc: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Fixed.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 18:04:05 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

For emacs-29, since this variable is new in Emacs 29.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-03-13 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: e759905d2e0828eac4c8164b09113b40f6899656
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules
 --with-gif=ifavailable'

>From bbac7354af6c0c3af717be98bee4d9f1238094c2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 18:03:15 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors

Noting this behavior and variable here makes it easier to understand
the behavior of Emacs when a sentinel has an error.

* doc/lispref/processes.texi (Sentinels):  Note that Emacs pauses when
handling sentinel errors.
---
 doc/lispref/processes.texi | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/processes.texi b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
index 50e67475d8e..39d1ee64e43 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/processes.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
@@ -2159,7 +2159,9 @@ Sentinels
 programs was running when the sentinel was started.  However, if
 @code{debug-on-error} is non-@code{nil},  errors are not caught.
 This makes it possible to use the Lisp debugger to debug the
-sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.
+sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.  Additionally, Emacs pauses for
+@var{process-error-pause-time} seconds so that the user sees the
+error.  @xref{Asynchronous Processes}
 
   While a sentinel is running, the process sentinel is temporarily
 set to @code{nil} so that the sentinel won't run recursively.
-- 
2.30.2