Subject: bug#63096: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 18:04:05 -0400

Tags: patch

For emacs-29, since this variable is new in Emacs 29.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-03-13 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: e759905d2e0828eac4c8164b09113b40f6899656
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules
 --with-gif=ifavailable'

>From bbac7354af6c0c3af717be98bee4d9f1238094c2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 18:03:15 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors

Noting this behavior and variable here makes it easier to understand
the behavior of Emacs when a sentinel has an error.

* doc/lispref/processes.texi (Sentinels):  Note that Emacs pauses when
handling sentinel errors.
---
 doc/lispref/processes.texi | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/processes.texi b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
index 50e67475d8e..39d1ee64e43 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/processes.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
@@ -2159,7 +2159,9 @@ Sentinels
 programs was running when the sentinel was started.  However, if
 @code{debug-on-error} is non-@code{nil},  errors are not caught.
 This makes it possible to use the Lisp debugger to debug the
-sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.
+sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.  Additionally, Emacs pauses for
+@var{process-error-pause-time} seconds so that the user sees the
+error.  @xref{Asynchronous Processes}
 
   While a sentinel is running, the process sentinel is temporarily
 set to @code{nil} so that the sentinel won't run recursively.
-- 
2.30.2