Subject: Re: bug#63096: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 14:46:22 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 18:04:05 -0400
>> 
>> For emacs-29, since this variable is new in Emacs 29.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> diff --git a/doc/lispref/processes.texi b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
>> index 50e67475d8e..39d1ee64e43 100644
>> --- a/doc/lispref/processes.texi
>> +++ b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
>> @@ -2159,7 +2159,9 @@ Sentinels
>>  programs was running when the sentinel was started.  However, if
>>  @code{debug-on-error} is non-@code{nil},  errors are not caught.
>>  This makes it possible to use the Lisp debugger to debug the
>> -sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.
>> +sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.  Additionally, Emacs pauses for
>
> Why "Additionally"?  What you are describing is not in addition to
> what was described before that.
>
>> +@var{process-error-pause-time} seconds so that the user sees the
>> +error.  @xref{Asynchronous Processes}
>
> If we are mentioning this variable here, let's also mention it where
> filter functions are described, since it is also relevant to those.

OK, fixed.

>From ce5909f81485d0cfb0e4622251816e83ef422a5c Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 10:42:11 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors

Noting this behavior and variable here makes it easier to understand
the behavior of Emacs when a sentinel has an error.

* doc/lispref/processes.texi (Filter Functions): Note that Emacs
pauses when handling sentinel errors.
(Sentinels): Note that Emacs pauses when handling sentinel errors.
---
 doc/lispref/processes.texi | 8 ++++++--
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/processes.texi b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
index 50e67475d8e..f55ed7887d2 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/processes.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
@@ -1755,7 +1755,9 @@ Filter Functions
 program was running when the filter function was started.  However, if
 @code{debug-on-error} is non-@code{nil}, errors are not caught.
 This makes it possible to use the Lisp debugger to debug filter
-functions.  @xref{Debugger}.
+functions.  @xref{Debugger}.  If an error is caught, Emacs pauses for
+@var{process-error-pause-time} seconds so that the user sees the
+error.  @xref{Asynchronous Processes}
 
   Many filter functions sometimes (or always) insert the output in the
 process's buffer, mimicking the actions of the default filter.
@@ -2159,7 +2161,9 @@ Sentinels
 programs was running when the sentinel was started.  However, if
 @code{debug-on-error} is non-@code{nil},  errors are not caught.
 This makes it possible to use the Lisp debugger to debug the
-sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.
+sentinel.  @xref{Debugger}.  If an error is caught, Emacs pauses for
+@var{process-error-pause-time} seconds so that the user sees the
+error.  @xref{Asynchronous Processes}
 
   While a sentinel is running, the process sentinel is temporarily
 set to @code{nil} so that the sentinel won't run recursively.
-- 
2.38.0