Subject: Re: Inconsistency between resolved issues/patches and source files.

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:21:33 -0700

On 2024-03-21, William wrote:
> A few days ago I tried reencoding several video files I have laying
> around to save storage, using libsvtav1 through ffmpeg, and then to my
> surprise (and frustration) I realized that ffmpeg distributed by
> GNU/Guix does not include such encoding library.
>
> I checked the issue tracker and found out issues that indeed commented
> on this library missing, strangely enough, an issue with a patch was
> marked as solved on 16 February 2024[0], over a month ago, however when
> I check the source files I notice that the patch that includes a flag to
> enable this library is still not present on the latest build of ffmpeg
> yet[1].

It appears to be applied in core-updates as
9400188b2b57cea2f3efc998a2f3b24769db04b7, but not yet merged into the
master branch. This is probably because it would trigger too many
rebuilds...

> Why? How does the merging process work on Guix? Why are issues marked
> as solved/done yet patches are still one month due, to submit upstream?
> Am I missing something or this is a mistake on the mantainers side?

When closing an issue, ideally such information (commit hash and branch
if not on master) should be included in the closing message to avoid
having to look it up. :)

live well,
  vagrant