Subject: bug#63082: [PATCH 04/17] services: mpd: Obsolete the 'group' field.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:16:36 -0400

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Samstag, dem 29.04.2023 um 08:26 +0200 schrieb Liliana Marie
> Prikler:
>> IIRC using supplementary groups does not suffice, because the
>> service won't work then; do I actually recall that correctly?  
> Reading the rest of the series it turns out that worry was unwarranted.
> Supplementary groups do work as they should.

Perhaps the simplest, more natural way to fix this would be to do the
following:

1. Revert to use simple strings for the user/group, with their types to
maybe-string.

2. When the fields are specified, it's assumed that their corresponding
user/group already exist, as done for other services.  When unspecified,
then the service takes care to extend the user-accounts service with the
mpd user/group.

This means we do not have to expose user-accounts at the
<mpd-configuration>, which is not the right place for that anyway; it's
already exposed via the users/groups fields of the <operating-system>
record.

That's much easier to reason with, for both humans and the code, in my
opinion.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim