Subject: Re: bug#63072: 28.2; CC Mode: Fix "bsd" style and add "freebsd" and "openbsd" ones

From: Olivier Certner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:31:28 +0200

> > Additionally, these changes will be exceedingly rare, and styles will just
> > be updated on a best-effort basis.
> 
> The "best-effort" part is what bothers me.  We introduce these new
> styles because the relevant projects change the styles, and then we
> basically tell users: don't expect these styles to actually follow
> those projects, except by luck?  Does that make sense?

By luck? The last changes in these styles with a practical consequence for CC 
mode were done more than 20 years ago. Had the changes proposed here been done 
at that time, users would have been able to use the right style since then.

Truth is, users not having the right style would be extremely unlucky, given 
the rate of changes (practically zero). These styles are *intended* to follow 
these projects' practice. And they will so more than 99% of the time. Of 
course, if a style changes and requires a CC style modification, then someone 
will have to submit it and in the meantime users will have to live with the 
discrepancy. Is that what really bothers you? That's what best effort means. 
Again, this will be useful to the relevant users more than 99% of the time.

-- 
Olivier Certner