Subject: Re: bug#63072: 28.2; CC Mode: Fix "bsd" style and add "freebsd" and "openbsd" ones

From: Olivier Certner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 22:57:29 +0200

> ENOPATCH,

Yes. See end of initial message + was temporarily distracted.

> but in any case, I don't think we can change a style that
> was in use for such a long time.  So I suggest instead to create a new
> style, say bsd2 or somesuch.

That may be a problem, not so much for the ancient "bsd", but for the new 
ones.

After more reading, it seems that this "bsd" is in fact Allman's style, which 
indeed differs for the style used by BSD projects. So, I'm pondering with 
using "bsd-knf" instead (for Kernel Normal Form), which appears to be the 
dedicated term (and is even documented in Wikipedia).

What I intend to do with "freebsd" and "openbsd" is to have styles reflecting 
the current practice for these projects. Which means they can (in fact, most 
probably will) be changed in the future according to how they amend their 
style guidelines. If this policy of changes is documented, is that OK?

For those who want to use the current style for whatever project they have and 
don't want it to change afterwards, we could, e.g., make "freebsd" an alias of 
some "freebsd1" style (let's say, for version 1), and they would "freebsd1", 
i.e., a specific version that will not change. I'm not sure if this will be 
useful for some people, but at least it is cheap to do so we should probably 
do it even if in the end nobody would use it.

I think I need a little bit more reading and pondering (and your answers) 
before I can actually submit meaningful patches. (So the interruption might 
have been a blessing.)

Thanks.

-- 
Olivier Certner