Subject: Re: bug#63068: Apache mirrors are not available anymore

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:01:29 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 at 10:52, glaz--- via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I did some minor research on my patch. Looks like I was wrong. There are 
> more than one package, that is not available via DLCDN, but only on 
> archive.apache.org. So the best solutions seems to be to change the list 
> of mirrors in download.scm as described earlier.
>
> -      (apache             ; from 
> http://www.apache.org/mirrors/dist.html
> -       "http://www.eu.apache.org/dist/"
> -       "http://www.us.apache.org/dist/"
> -       "https://ftp.nluug.nl/internet/apache/"
> -       "http://apache.mirror.iweb.ca/"
> -       "http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/apache/"
> -       "http://apache.mirrors.ovh.net/ftp.apache.org/dist/"
> -       "http://apache-mirror.rbc.ru/pub/apache/"
> -       "ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/apache/"
> -       "http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/apache/"
> -
> +      (apache ; see https://apache.org/history/mirror-history.html
> +       "https://dlcdn.apache.org/"

I think it is best to tweak the list of mirrors as you suggest here.
However, why remove all the others?  Are they officially down?

What I would suggest is the list:

      (apache ; see https://apache.org/history/mirror-history.html
       "https://dlcdn.apache.org/"
       "http://www.eu.apache.org/dist/"
       "http://www.us.apache.org/dist/"
       "https://ftp.nluug.nl/internet/apache/"
       "http://apache.mirror.iweb.ca/"
       "http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/apache/"
       "http://apache.mirrors.ovh.net/ftp.apache.org/dist/"
       "http://apache-mirror.rbc.ru/pub/apache/"
       "ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/apache/"
       "http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/apache/"

Hence the first item will be tried first.  And if it fails, the other
will be checked.  Then if it still fails, Guix will try other sources as
Webarchive, Software Heritage, etc.

Cheers,
simon