Subject: bug#63068: What I was trying to do

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 08:32:53 +0200

Hello Julian and Simon,

I'm trying to test this patch but I find a problem with package version
specification

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 at 22:36, Julian Flake <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> $ guix shell --with-version=maven=3.9.1 maven

If I try to _build_ maven with my current guix specifying a version I
get this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

$ LC_ALL=C guix build -n --no-substitutes maven --with-version=maven=3.8.6
guix build: warning: could not find version 3.8.6 of 'maven' upstream
The following derivations would be built:

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Am I doing something wrong?

> Just to be sure, are you using the Guix where you applied the patch?
>
> I mean, from the Guix repository where you applied you patch, I am
> expecting:
>
>     $ ./pre-inst-env guix shell --with-version=maven=3.9.1 maven

I applied the patch and in my guix dev env I try to build maven:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

giovanni@roquette [genv]\:  ./pre-inst-env guix build -n --no-substitutes maven
/gnu/store/9cx7sijbc9n1fvq528qysh33v6aqb3d9-maven-3.8.6

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

How can I "force" the build of a package already stored in /gnu/store?

Obviously building with --with-version does not work here, also:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

giovanni@roquette [genv]\: ./pre-inst-env guix build -n --no-substitutes maven --with-version=maven=3.8.6
guix build: warning: could not find version 3.8.6 of 'maven' upstream
/gnu/store/9cx7sijbc9n1fvq528qysh33v6aqb3d9-maven-3.8.6

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

[...]

What am I missing?

Thanks! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures