Subject: Re: bug#63050: "guix pull" requires graphical libraries

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 18:38:28 +0200

Am Sat, May 20, 2023 at 06:12:47PM +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> > The closure size reduction is substantial:
> > $ ./pre-inst-env guix size graphviz | tail -1
> > total: 183.6 MiB
> > $ guix size graphviz | tail -1
> > total: 242.3 MiB
> > But I suspect we’d still need the full-blown variant for things like
> > xdot.
> Here’s a proposal:
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63610

Typo? The issue is not found.

Note that I do not care so much about the closure size, but about the
number of packages that are needed to just build guix (although of course
the two are related). Or otherwise said, the dependencies for "guix pull".
On "exotic" architectures, each dependency is a potential cause of failure,
and all in all it may take hours (days?) to run "guix pull" without
substitutes, with a high chance of failure.

Andreas