Subject: 24.0.50; Regression: most, but not all, keyboard shortcuts are missing

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 14:38:03 -0700

This is a regression from 23.1 to 23.2.

I don't have a recipe from emacs -Q.  I'm sure you could create one.
 
In Emacs 22 and 23.1, keyboard shortcuts ("equivalents", if you
prefer) are indicated correctly in menus.  In both Emacs 23.2 and
the recent build noted below, this is horribly broken.

See the three attached screenshots, for Emacs 22 (OK), Emacs 23.1
(OK), and Emacs 23.2 (broken - build noted below or the release 23.2).
 
There is absolutely nothing particular about the three shortcuts
that Emacs 23.2 does happen to show correctly.  The code defining
their menu items is the same as the code that defines the other
items whose shortcuts do not show.

The code that builds the menu is straightforward:
 
(defvar bookmarkp-jump-map nil "...")
(define-prefix-command 'bookmarkp-jump-map)
(define-key ctl-x-map "j" bookmarkp-jump-map)

(define-key bookmarkp-jump-map "B" 'bookmarkp-bookmark-list-jump)
(define-key bookmarkp-jump-map "v" 'bookmarkp-varlist-jump)
...
(define-key bookmarkp-bmenu-jump-menu ; SHORTCUT `C-x j v' OK
  [bookmarkp-varlist-jump]
  '(menu-item "Variable List..." bookmarkp-varlist-jump
  :help "..."))
(define-key bookmarkp-bmenu-jump-menu ; SHORTCUT `C-x j B' MISSING
  [bookmarkp-bookmark-list-jump]
  '(menu-item "Bookmark List..." bookmarkp-bookmark-list-jump
    :help "..."))
...

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-05-23 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'