Subject: bug#63047: Can't load glib debug symbols in gdb

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:54:29 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> writes:

> I try to run emacs in gdb with debug symbols for some libs available, I
> succeed with gtk+, but it doesn't work for glib and glibc.  It looks
> strange to me, but maybe I am doing something wrong.
>
> Reproducer:
>
> guix shell gdb emacs-next-pgtk glibc:debug gtk+:debug glib:debug \
>      --with-debug-info=glibc --with-debug-info=glib --with-debug-info=gtk+ \
>      --no-grafts -- gdb .emacs-30.0.50-real

At least for glibc, the glibc that is linked against is the one in (gnu
packages commencement), which is hidden from the user.  The one in (gnu
packages base), which you can refer to with "glibc" is different.  You
can try to find the proper debug output by looking at `guix size` of
your store path, then finding out the deriver for glibc with `guix gc
--derivers` and finally looking at the .drv to find out what the debug
output should be.

For glib, it might be similar, make sure that you're using exactly the
right store path for it.

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret