Subject: [bug#63044] [PATCH] gnu: python-setuptools: Disable date checking in bdist_egg.py

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 17:18:38 +0200

Hi,

Brian Cully <[email-masked]> skribis:

> For one thing, ‘ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980’ isn't exported from 
> (guix build python-build-system). I can use ‘@@’ to reference it, 
> but that seems less-than-ideal.
>
> A larger problem is that ‘ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980’ has a bug: it 
> blindly tries to change the utime of files even if they're 
> symlinks, which raises an “operation not permitted” 
> exception. It's easy enough to fix this, but since it changes 
> ‘python-build-system’, it causes a tremendous amount of 
> rebuilding.

Yes.  I’m surprised we didn’t hit a problem before, despite having
thousands of Python packages.  Can we work around it for the one package
that hits that bug?  (Until a fix like you propose lands.)

> I'm not sure how to proceed. The bug with the build system should 
> certainly be fixed, but it'll be disruptive. Until then, at least 
> ‘criu’ will remain broken — though ‘sssd’ is now building 
> correctly with the new phase.

If you can use @@ to get at ‘ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980’, I’d still
suggest to do that for ‘criu’.

Does that make sense?  Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
Ludo’.