Subject: [bug#63044] [PATCH] gnu: python-setuptools: Disable date checking in bdist_egg.py

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 22:05:05 +0200

Hi,

Brian Cully <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> is it correct that this change is required only for packages *not*
>> using
>> python-build-system? python-build-system itself already has a phase
>> called ”ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980“, which should fix the issue for
>> all Python packages. Can we use that phase for affected packages
>> (two,
>> so far) and/or factor it out of python-build-system?
>
> I've only run into the issue with ‘gnu-build-system’, and your
> explanation that ‘python-build-system’ has an extra phase would
> explain why.

Oh got it.  So yes, your proposal makes a lot of sense to me, Lars.

The way to do that is to add (guix build python-build-system) to
#:imported-modules and #:modules in those packages, and then to use
‘modify-phases’ to add that ‘ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980’ phase to those
of ‘gnu-build-system’.

How does that sound, Brian?

We have similar shenanigans for other packages that use a primary build
system but need stuff from another one.

Thanks,
Ludo’.