Subject: bug#62991: 30.0.50; normal-backup-enable-predicate does not consider /dev/shm

From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 12:49:01 +0200

I've found that the `pass` password-store creates temporary files under
/dev/shm rather than /tmp and editing those files with emacs creates
backup files (which may leak passwords outside that directory if
`backup-directory-alist` is customized to place them elsewhere)`. This
seems to be due to `normal-backup-enable-predicate` specifically testing
for /tmp (and two other temporary directories), but not other
directories backed by a tmpfs file system (such as /dev/shm).  There
does not appear to be a customizable to extend the list of directories
it's checking for either. One more candidate for exclusion is the
/run/user/<uid> directory (it's backed by tmpfs as well, but has
different uses).

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-04-15 built on odonien
Repository revision: c60b59e04c3776a90adaa8c8fe53af3075a833b8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-g -ggdb -O0''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: 
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36403 15371)
 (symbols 48 5177 0)
 (strings 32 13201 2082)
 (string-bytes 1 377158)
 (vectors 16 9346)
 (vector-slots 8 149422 15364)
 (floats 8 21 24)
 (intervals 56 212 0)
 (buffers 984 10))