Subject: Re: bug#62990: 30.0.50; UDP server closes connection upon receiving an empty packet

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 16:27:48 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 26 Apr 2023 15:24:03 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:
    >> 
    >> I guess we could, but if the application asks us to send an empty
    >> packet we should do it.

    Eli> I didn't say that the default behavior should be that, I just asked
    Eli> whether it is conceivable that someone, somewhere could actually rely
    Eli> on the semi-buggy behavior, whereby empty packets aren't sent?

I canʼt conceive of it. If it ever does happen the fix is easy: check
the length of the message before sending it.

    >> 
    >> ie the UDP process is still running and can still receive messages

    Eli> And no one could ever expect that?  IOW, is this behavior obviously
    Eli> wrong?

Yes. The other end has sent a valid UDP packet, and we react by
closing the connection.

Robert
--