Subject: bug#6299: In read-file-name: (args-out-of-range "c:" 0 3)

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 03:35:00 +0200

I get this backtrace below in certain cases when doing C-x C-f and entering

  c:/ema TAB

in the minibuffer. I have no good idea of how to debug it.

It happens only after I have loaded a multi major mode file. However
it happens not after just loading mumamo.el.

If I enter

  c:/emacs/something TAB

it does not happen either, i.e. it happens only before the second "/".

Tramp is loaded after the first TAB above but that is loaded in both
the cases where I get an error and those where I do not get it. (I
have no idea why tramp is loaded though.)

I do not know if I can track this down to something more simple so I
ask for suggestions and qualified guesses instead. Anyone has some?

This is with a checkout from 2010-05-22, my patched version.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range "c:" 0 3)
  signal(args-out-of-range ("c:" 0 3))
  completion--some(#[(style) " 	\236A@\n \f
$\207" [style completion-styles-alist string table pred point] 5]
(basic partial-completion emacs22))
  completion-try-completion("c:/ema" read-file-name-internal file-exists-p 6)
  completion--do-completion()
  minibuffer-complete()
  call-interactively(minibuffer-complete nil nil)
  completing-read("Find file: " read-file-name-internal file-exists-p
nil "c:/emacs/p/100522/EmacsW32/nxhtml/util/" file-name-history
"c:/emacs/p/100522/EmacsW32/nxhtml/util/")
  ad-Orig-read-file-name("Find file: " nil
"c:/emacs/p/100522/EmacsW32/nxhtml/util/" nil nil nil)
  (setq ad-return-value (ad-Orig-read-file-name prompt dir
default-filename mustmatch initial predicate))
  (let ((viper-minibuffer-exit-hook ...)) (setq ad-return-value
(ad-Orig-read-file-name prompt dir default-filename mustmatch initial
predicate)))
  (let (ad-return-value) (let (...) (setq ad-return-value ...)) ad-return-value)
  read-file-name("Find file: " nil "c:/emacs/p/100522/EmacsW32/nxhtml/util/")
  (cons (read-file-name "Find file: " nil default-directory) (cond
(... ...) (... ...)))
  call-interactively(find-file nil nil)