Subject: Re: bug#62962: 28.2; blocked key combinations in macos

From: Eric Blood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 09:41:57 -0600

greetings stefan..

i just pulled down a recent release of emacs (
https://emacsformacosx.com/emacs-builds/Emacs-29.1-1-universal.dmg),
started with `~/Downloads/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -q`, and the issue
is still there.  are you using magnet?  the default bindings of
ctrl-opt-leftarrow or ctrl-opt-rightarrow (using mac keyboard nomenclature)
to move the window to the left or right of the screen don't work.  if i
type ctrl-opt-x, the minibuffer reports "C-M-x is undefined", but doesn't
say anything when i type ctrl-opt-leftarrow or ctrl-opt-rightarrow.  again,
this does work with the railwaycat build (and the 15 other mac apps i have
open).

i just verified i don't have any global shortcuts defined by going into
system settings/keyboard shortcuts and defining ctrl-opt-leftarrow to show
notification center.  it doesn't show a conflict with any other shortcuts,
and it overrides the magnet binding and shows notification center.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 10:31 AM Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> tags 62962 + moreinfo
> thanks
>
> Eric Blood <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > i use magnet (https://magnet.crowdcafe.com) on the mac which uses key
> > combinations like ctrl-option-leftarrow, or ctrl-option-rightarrow to
> > reorganize windows quickly.  with the official mac build of emacs these
> > combinations don't work, however the railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport
> > build does.  it would be nice to see these keys work.
>
> I can't reproduce this.
>
> Could you please check that you have no global keybindings customized on
> your machine.
>
> See:
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/638697/in-emacs-my-c-right-and-c-left-on-my-mac-keyboard-does-not-work
>