Subject: bug#62958: [PATCH] Set PAGER=cat in comint.el

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 13:13:56 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 13:01:07 -0400
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> 
>>  I'm asking why this is not already obvious from the fact that this is
>>  a defcustom, by default off.  All your addition says is "don't disable
>>  paging in all cases, sometimes it can be useful".  But we already said
>>  that, in effect, by making the paging enabled by default.  So there's
>>  no reason to have that text, as it isn't instrumental, and doesn't add
>>  anything.
>> 
>> How does "this is a defcustom, by default off" communicate "you should use vc-print-log if you turn this
>> on"?
>
> Why are we suddenly talking about vc-print-log when discussing a much
> more general feature?

Because disabling pagination effectively breaks the shell command "git
log" and vc-print-log is one alternative to running "git log", and I
don't know how else the user would realize that.  (In my experience with
talking to users about this, they usually don't)