Subject: Re: bug#62958: [PATCH] Set PAGER=cat in comint.el

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 20:03:14 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 19:59:35 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> I'm asking why this is not already obvious from the fact that this is
> a defcustom, by default off.  All your addition says is "don't disable
> paging in all cases, sometimes it can be useful".  But we already said
> that, in effect, by making the paging enabled by default.  So there's
> no reason to have that text, as it isn't instrumental, and doesn't add
> anything.

Or let me turn the table and ask whether the following minor
rephrasing of what I proposed will satisfy you:

  Pagination is normally not needed, and might get in the way, when
  the output of the program is directed to an Emacs buffer, so in
  those cases pagination might need to be disabled.  To disable
  pagination, this variable's value should be a string that names a
  program, such as \"cat\", which passes through all of the output
  without any filtering or delays.  Comint will then set the PAGER
  variable to name that program, when it invokes external programs."