Subject: bug#62954: Valgrind blocks R on powerpc64le

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:59:37 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 at 18:55, Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Am Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 03:25:17PM +0200 schrieb Simon Tournier:
>> See #62967 [1] for an attempt.  I am rebuilding to detect the potential problem.
>
> Not sure why we need a second issue... All this should work, let us wait
> till after the core-updates merge.

Because it is two “mailing lists“ under the hood: guix-patches and bug-guix.

As someone who digs (time to time, and not enough these days, oups!) to
“forgotten” issues, I find easier to follow the discussion about one
specific bug and the discussion about one specific implementation
when they are separated – somehow it reduces the “noise”.

Well, for example consider #58650 [1].  It is time-consuming to know if
the PATCH is “forgotten“ or if it does not fix the issue and can be
dropped.

Moreover, the two patches of #58650 [1] does not appear if you follow
only guix-patches; because the issue had not been marked +patch.

Speaking about “forgotten” issues, #62967 (patch) does not mention
#62954 (bug) and that is a kind of “mistake”, I agree. :-)

Last, on the pragmatic side, I do not know if the CI is following
bug-guix and if it tries to extract patches from it.  (Yes, for this
case it is not relevant; the patch is dropped by CI because it implies
more rebuilds than the threshold.)

Well, it’s a matter of taste. :-)

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/58650

Cheers,
simon