Subject: Re: bug#62898: 29.0.90; X can’t be input by the current input method [chinese-ctlaub]

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:11:07 +0300

> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:11:33 GMT
> From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
> 
> Where X is character codepoint
> 
>  #x6a58
>  #x6a59
> 
> with chinese-ctlaub set the current input method, quail-show-key has
> 
>  #x6a58 => X can’t be input by the current input method
>  #x6a59 => To input ‘X’, type "chaang"
> 
> Steps to reproduce
>  - emacs -Q
>  - switch to buffer in plain Fundamental mode, C-x b bbb
>  - M-x set-input-method RET chinese-ctlaub
>  - mouse copy, paste the two symbols from chart at row 1, column 2 and 3
>  - put cursor over symbol and apply M-x quail-show-key

The chinese-ctlaub input method is produced from the file
CTLau-b5.html, and that file doesn't include #x6a59.

I cannot find a newer version of CTLau-b5.html on the Internet, if
there is a newer version.  I also don't know why #x6a59 is missing
from the file we have: whether it's a mistake, omission, or there's
some real reason for that.

Are there any newer sources for this input method which we could use?

> chart from Shuowen's tree section
>  - https://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/shuowenRadical.php?rad=%E6%9C%A8

That page is in Chinese, and I cannot read nor understand it.  What
does it say that is relevant to this issue?

> unexpected result
>  - the current input method won't learn new input key sequence for symbol
> 
> expected result
>  - the current input method learns new input key sequence for symbol
> 
> The current input method being chinese-ctlaub learns a new input key
> sequence for symbol flowing the way a word that does not occur in the
> wordlist can be added for future personal spell checking.

I don't understand what you are saying here, sorry.  What do you mean
by "current input method learns new input key sequence"?  AFAIK, input
methods don't learn any key sequences, they just support key sequences
that are part of the IM's definition.