Subject: Re: bug#62892: proposal to extend mark-sexp to go forward and backward on command

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:16:30 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Zachary Kanfer <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 01:25:29 -0400
> 
> > If this is to be accepted, why not extend it to all like mark functions,
> > listed below?  Implementing them should be pretty similar, and you might
> > even be able to reuse the same helper for all these variants.  Also, the
> > helper function might need to contain a double-dash in its name because
> > this is inherently a private function.
> 
> This makes sense to me, although I have not found the same need for these to be marked. I'm happy
> to extend them as such; I'll add that in a later patch.
> 
> > Please use `quote' to quote things in Emacs docstrings.  Also, both here
> > and in other docstrings, the newline immediately after the first line,
> > while seems necessary, is usually redundant in Emacs docstrings.  And
> > there is a typo: "amrk" -> "mark".
> > 
> > I also think you shouldn't use wildcard-like elements in quotes (in your
> > case, you reuse part of the name in the quote), but I'm not sure.
> 
> Done. Updated patch attached.

Thanks.

Did you see the comment by Juri, viz.:

> Did you know that it's possible to switch directions by typing 'C-x C-x'.
> After that 'C-M-@' extends the region backwards.

AFAIU, this means we already have an easy method to have C-M-@ switch
directions, and the changes you propose might therefore be
unnecessary.  WDYT?