Subject: bug#62862: 26.3; Minor bug in (emacs) Shift Selection

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 14:16:48 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 13:49:24 -0700
> 
> severity 62862 wishlist
> thanks
> 
> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > "shift-selection" isn't a noun or a programming name.  It's a noun
> > phrase, and should be written as "shift selection".  In particular,
> > index entry "shift-selection" should also be replaced by "shift
> > selection".  It might be good to also add a glossary entry for "shift selection".
> 
> I think you're probably right here, but we have many 114 occurrences of
> "shift-selection" in our tree.  I think it doesn't make sense to fix one
> without fixing the others, and then you'd need to be careful because
> some of them might refer to the symbol `shift-select'.
> 
> So ultimately, I'm not sure it's worth spending time on.  I guess we
> could accept a patch.
> 
> Eli, what do you think?

English is not my first language, so the intricacies of the grammar
frequently elude me, but: how is this different from byte-compilation,
native-compilation, and other similar terminology that we use all over
the place?

In any case, I agree that this bug report is splitting hair.