Subject: Re: General delimited literals in ruby-mode patch

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:46:48 +0400

On 14.08.2012 16:40, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I kind of remember something about this second case, and remember being
> bothered by the fact that ruby-syntax-methods-before-regexp would need
> to be adjusted by the user since it can depend on its locale
> (especially the Given/Then/When).

While Cucumber features can be localized, ruby-mode should only be used 
with step definitions [1], and those just contain Ruby code, so the 
Given/Then/When method names would be the same, AFAIK.

A user might want to be able to add a new method to the list, 
theoretically, but paren-less calling convention is mostly used in 
DSL-like code (that means, with methods provided by some framework or 
other), so I say we wait until such feature request actually comes.

> I also vaguely remember that this problem was related to the reason why
> I added the "look after the regexp" test.

That was in the original patch I submitted, mostly because it looked 
like a clever solution. But the conservative approach should work, too: 
the canonical (I think) TextMate bundle uses the whitelist [2] without 
major complaints.

> It would probably be better if you could commit those changes yourself.
> If you want to do that, please request membership in the "emacs" group
> from your savannah account (which you may have to create beforehand).

Requested, thanks.

I think we're finished with this bug, though, unless you'd like to see 
some other changes.

--Dmitry

[1] https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Step-Definitions
[2] 
https://github.com/drnic/ruby-tmbundle/blob/master/Syntaxes/Ruby.plist#L882