Subject: Re: bug#62856: 30.0.50; nongnu.git documentation out of date

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2023 17:29:40 -0400

>>> nongnu.git's README and elpa-packages file claim each package will be
>>> on an "externals/NAME" branch. Instead the packages are on "elpa/NAME"
>>> branches.
>>
>> I am not exactly sure what is going on here, but the README file on the
>> elpa-admin branch mentions this:
>>
>> This file exists in two branches ~elpa-admin~ and ~elpa~.  The two version
>> differ slightly.  The introductory text before the first heading
>> differs and there are minor differences concerning the ~externals/*~ to
>> ~elpa/*~ transition.  Please make sure you always update this file in
>> both locations to avoid introducing additional differences.  This
>> duplication will be removed eventually.
>>
>>
>>>           The elpa-config file implies this will be configurable at
>>> some point, but for now the docs are misleading.
>>
>> It should be configurable?  Or at least `elpaa-read-config' does set it.
>
> Stefan, do you have any comments here?

Not much to add: the README in `elpa-admin` is supposed to be "generic"
(under the assumption that `elpa-admin` could be used for many other
archives), whereas the READMEs in the `main` branch of `elpa.git` and
`nongnu.git` should describe what's specific to the corresponding
(Non)GNU ELPA case and delegate the rest to the `elpa-admin` README.

        Stefan