Subject: Re: bug#62845: 29.0.90; nntp-with-open-group-function kills current buffer on timeout

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 09:58:07 -0700

On 05/06/23 08:13 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Mai 05 2023, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> The answer is, that mechanism is designed to work only once. If the
>> connection is dead or times out, it catches that condition once and
>> tries to re-connect, and won't catch it a second time. So we'd have to
>> be hitting the timeout twice in a row to see this (which definitely
>> happens). I still think it's best just to revert 032969e8c65 on Emacs 29.
>
> When the timeout happens the server buffer is killed.  Reopening the
> connection creates a new buffer, but the current buffer remains dead.

But doesn't the call to `nntp-possibly-change-group' at nntp.el:600
re-create the connection, including re-initializing the
nntp-server-buffer, so that when the guts of
`nntp-finish-retrieve-group-infos' are run for the second time, the new
server buffer is found?

I'm having a hell of a time reasoning about this whole flow.