Subject: Re: bug#62837: [PATCH] Add a semantic-symref backend which uses xref-matches-in-files

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 15:37:20 +0300

On 15/04/2023 09:50, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 01:38:18 +0300
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 14/04/2023 18:37, Spencer Baugh wrote:
>>> When project-files is available, this is a much more efficient
>>> fallback than the current grep fallback.  Ultimately, this is
>>> motivated by making xref-find-references faster by default even in the
>>> absence of an index.
>> It's a clever enough idea, but unfortunately it doesn't look like the
>> performance is always improved by this change.
> Maybe we could offer that as optional behavior, turned on by some user
> option?  Then people who do experience performance boost could use it.

Sure. That's also possible. But I'd like more info anyway, for example, 
to be able to make the choice about which value of said option should be 
the default.

Or if the scenario with the improvement turns out to be a rare one, 
concentrate on what project.el needs to provide to make it better.